This project is read-only.

Missing User Content Type

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I am using the latest build (from source) of Orchard CMS and the profile module.  But for some reason the "User" content type is not available on the Content Types screen.  The odder thing is that I have setup another site using Web Matrix and the gallery version of the module and the "User" content type is there??

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I am using the latest build from source as well and do not have this problem, so I can agree that this is very odd. Because the admin account used to setup orchard is a user it would be impossible for orchard to install and configure itself without having the user feature active and the content type available.

Some questions that would help out:

Can you enable the profile module from the dashboard? (It has a dependency on the User feature)

Is the User node available on the management menu in the dashboard?

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM
Edited Oct 20, 2011 at 11:23 PM
jhersh wrote:

I am using the latest build from source as well and do not have this problem, so I can agree that this is very odd. Because the admin account used to setup orchard is a user it would be impossible for orchard to install and configure itself without having the user feature active and the content type available.

Some questions that would help out:

Can you enable the profile module from the dashboard? (It has a dependency on the User feature)

Is the User node available on the management menu in the dashboard?

Yes, I agree, it seems like an impossibility for a user to user the system with the User content missing, but I kid you not, when I go to the Content / Content Types the User content type does not display.

I do have the Users menu on the dashboard (both Users and Settings / Users).  I can even enable the Profile feature without any issue.  The problem then comes that if I try to navigate to /Profile/Admin to see the profile details for the Admin user, the route cannot be found.  (404)

On the other version that I have setup through web matrix, all works as expected, but I would prefer to work in visual studio with the source.

BTW: I am using v1.3.9

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I would try the following, in the order listed. The assumption is that the code base is functional but your single installation of orchard had a failure during the installation. If any step works for you I would stop moving down the list.

1. Reset your existing orchard installation and reconfigure. See if that resolves the issue. If you installed the site using SQLCE you can just delete the orchard.sdf file.

=> Orchard.Web\App_Data\Sites\Default\orchard.sdf

2. Clone the original source you downloaded and install a new orchard site.
3. Clone the original source from codeplex and install a new orchard site.

If Sebastien or Bertrand (or any other team member or expert) wants to weigh in please do I am out of my depth.

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Yep tried all that:

• Removed the data from the App_Data folder. FAILED
  • Rebuilt from source. (cloned) FAILED
  • Rebuilt from source. (zip) FAILED (note: also missing about 4 projects)
  • Rebuilt from v1.3.9 source. FAILED (although had to get all the 3rd party libs)

Maybe I need to move this over to the Orchard Project discussion?  Note: even though the module enabled successfully, I could not view the profile info for any user.

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:24 PM

So a little bit of hacking in the database has atleast gotten the User content type back, the "Settings_ContentTypeDefinitionRecord" User row was not in my dev database.  Now to figure out why (or if it is by design).

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Hi there, any solution to this problem please? I'm experiencing the same thing: User content type not showing in the admin area. It has been there, but is gone now on fresh install of 1.3.9 src under VIsual Studio. In the process of eliminating stuff...

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I never did get it sorted, but I have put that project on hold for the time being.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Okay, thanks for the reply. Enabling the Profile module does the trick, as I think you mentioned, but I haven't managed to work out anything beyond that.

Sent: 04 December 2011 21:58
To: martinc@topology.com
Subject: Re: Missing User Content Type [orchardprofile:276562]

I never did get it sorted, but I have put that project on hold for the time being.